Acadamy Awards, The Oscars, award shows

Each January the Academy Awards are viewed by millions of film fans around the world. They watch to see who will win the highest and most recognizable honor in film making for each category. Many celebrities and people in the entertainment community come to the Academy Awards each year to be part of this long affair filled with memorable speeches.

The Academy Awards first took place out of the public eye in Hollywood at the Roosevelt Hotel in May of 1929. Only 270 people attended and the tickets sold for only 5 dollars a piece. The attendance has skyrocketed. Now that its 2011 there have been up to 82 award shows.

The Oscar ceremony is also now broadcasted in foreign languages so it can be viewed in over 200 countries around the world. The Oscars are always filled with suspense and its allure is dazzling. The Oscars is also a huge event due to its infamous red carpet. Millions of viewers around the world love watching the stars make their way down the red carpet in their striking tux’s and gowns while posing and smiling for pictures. 

“I like to see all the celebrities walk down the red carpet and see what their wearing and who there with, that’s my favorite part,” senior Briana Pomeroy exclaims.  

No one knows who the Oscar (little golden man) will go to until it is presented live on the national news feed. This is motion picture’s industries greatest honor and it recognizes the highest level of achievement. The Oscar is given to the most astounding individual in the category. There can be up to 25 categories and 5 nominees in each of them.

Best picture, best actor, best actress, and best director are few of the many awards given out during the Award Show.   

Senior Breanna Davis says, “It’s very entertaining. I like seeing who wins best actress and actor and even best picture.”

This year there are many predictions on who will be nominated in each category.  One of the most anticipated awards of the night is who will win the Oscar for best picture. Some predictions are ‘Black Swan’, ‘The Fighter’, ‘Inception’, ‘The Kids Are All Right’, ‘The King’s Speech’, ‘The Social Network’, ‘The Town’, ‘Toy Story 3’, ‘True Grit’, and ‘Winter’s Bone’.

Senior Mia Hart predicts “For best picture I think inception will win, but Winter’s Bone was hella good.”

It seems that some fan favorites ‘Black Swan’, ‘Inception’, and ‘The Fighter’ are sure bets.  Anyone nominated is after that Oscar Gold. I guess will just have to wait and see…