Sugar, Sugar, Sugar!

Everyone has a sweet tooth; whether it’s for a red-bull, a Twix bar, or a caramel frappuccino from your local starbucks, the craving is there and it’s hard to be avoided.  Every year, the average American scarf’s down 142 pounds of sugar.

When asked, many students agreed that the caramel frappuccino at Starbucks is around 700 calories, but really it’s only 300, studies show if you ask for the frappuccino without whipped cream, the drink loses 110 calories. This shows that teens aren’t familiar with the number of calories valued in a frappuccino.

Same goes for a 16 ounce razzmatazz at Jamba Juice. 240 calories fit into the razzmatazz. Student’s estimated about 170, much less than their guess for a caramel frappuccino. They guess at a low number because they think it’s healthier since it’s a smoothie and it contains some fruit, but also sorbet which has many calories as well.

As of today, 16% of children in America 6-19 year olds (over 9 millions) are over weight or obese; this is three times what it was in 1980. So how has this percentage increased? In the 80s, fast food, sugary food, and high calorie snacks weren’t as wide-spread back then. It was about homemade food. People didn’t go out as much; therefore, saving money.
Nowadays, fast food is definitely popular, and somewhat affordable, so people, mainly teens eat it a lot.

There are also foods out there that have natural sugar such as fruit, honey and milk. It would be much healthier to replace a candy bar for an apple, butter for honey, and soda for water. The calories can add up if you eat too much processed sugary foods. They can be acceptable once in a while, but if sugary foods are eaten everyday, there is a chance of getting diabetes and being obese.

3 out of 5 juniors state that they would rather bring their own lunch from home, rather than go out and eat fast food, and other sugary items.

Junior, Jessica Fisk says “Sometimes I’ll bring lunch from home because fast food five times a week would be sickening and it saves way more money”. However, some people at Placer High School still walk to lunch, some choose to go to the gas station and only buy candy, energy drinks and soda. Bringing lunch form home could save you money and could help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.