Music fads now and then

When you listen to your grandmothers radio station in the car do you wonder how in the world she could listen to the 40s jazz without being tortured? What about your mothers 80’s hair metal records playing in the living room as she cleans? Think about the music you listen to and compare it to how music used to be.
    The comparison is a very huge and scary thing. The music scene has changed so much in the past 70 years. It went from the World War II jazz and big band to the classic oldies, from the thrilling rock-and-roll to the danceable disco and pop. From the infamous 80’s hair bands to grunge rock and metal. Now we have a huge variety; from rap to heavy metal, from screamo to hip hop, from rock-and-roll to punk. The music world has expanded more than you can imagine, giving everyone something to listen to. Junior Chris Mendes likes to kick it a little bit old school with what he listens to.
    “I think my favorite music era is definitely when all the oldies were a hit, like The Beatles, Dean Martin, and all the classics,” Mendes said. “Why? Because they were fun and classy!” He likes to listen to what he thinks sculptured music into being what it is today.   
    Music in the 60s and 70s evolved music into what it is today. The Beatles changed how everybody looked at music, they showed artists that they could write about anything they want and change lives by doing it.
    Some teens relate to their parents and grandparents in their musical tastes, like senior Elia Rivas.
    “They like classical music, but they also really like artists like Ella Fitzgerald, she’s the queen of soul, BB King, and my Grandma just recently discovered The Beatles,” said Rivas. “A pretty melody paired with lyrics that mean something can make anyone fall in love,” she explained.
    The music world has expanded so much in the past few decades, grabbing the attention of listeners of all ages. Different genres attract different kinds of people. There is a wide variety of musical influences that has graced us through out the years. Elvis Presley who was the King of Rock, Michael Jackson who will forever be the King of Pop, and The Beatles who pushed the boundaries and showed what was possible to be done. Music will continue to get better and more complex, leaving listeners on the edges of their seats.