Choir and Band getting attention

We all grow and develop in many different ways. We all have our own passions and desires in order to succeed our life time goals. Some students find success in sports; others may find it in education, while very few find success vocally and musically.

Most students would probably agree that the band and choir members tend to be overlooked a majority of the time. But has anyone ever stopped and thought about the amount of effort those students put in? What would a Placer High football game be like without the band? What would a rally be like without the choir?

“The band is under appreciated” stated Tim (Red) Johnson, an art teacher at Placer. “People don’t think of the band or choir enough; band makes a good football team better.”

A sophomore Michael Valdez commented, “I really appreciate the band. Especially during a football game, they always get everyone all riled up!”

Many people agree the band doesn’t always get the credit they deserve. However, most band and choir member tend to overlook the way they’re perceived. They seem to just enjoy singing and playing along together.

Sophomore Emma Zoller appreciates participating in choir because it allows her to connect with people on a deeper level rather than just talking.

“It lays down a foundation for friendship. We all know we’re choir dorks (laughing). We’re all fairly different, but we mesh well together. You have to be able to open up and be yourself; you have to completely let down your wall.”

Katherine Green is an active trumpet player in the PHS band.

Her favorite part of participating in band is going to all the fun events like band camp, and being able to get into the football games for free.

“It’s not just a band, everyone knows everyone. We’re like family”, commented Green.

All in all, the legendary Placer high school football games or rallies wouldn’t be the same without band or choir. They make our school a better place.