Placer gone paperless? by amber bush

Placer gone paperless? by amber bush

With 1.2 million pieces of paper used last year, it’s no wonder why Placer is going paperless.

As the beginning of the new school year starts, the school is branching out and making new changes in all different areas where it is needed. As many know, or have heard, the school is reducing the paper usage among the 56 teachers and office staff members on campus.

Last year, Placer used 1.2 million pieces of paper between the two copy machines located in the Student Service Building that all the teachers have access to. Last year there was no original copy limit for the teachers, but now there is.

“By reducing the amount of paper we use, by cutting it down by 20% for all teachers…not only would that save a lot of money, [but] we can put that money somewhere where our school needs it the most,” stated Placer High School principal Peter Efstathiu.  

With that amount of paper, one could cover thirteen football fields with the paper lying side by side.

To save money, the school had to make a budget cut somewhere; otherwise, the district was going to cut from the school departments. So why not cut from the amount of paper that gets used between the teachers?

“The kids have to already provide for supplies, but now they could be providing way more and same with teachers. It could become a problem,” stated Placer teacher and football coach Rick Lopez.

Teachers and students can have their opinion on the school’s decision to save money by going paperless, but many agree that the amount of paper needed to be reduced anyways. Most people find that it’s important to take it away from something like paper supply rather than something essential to kids’ educations.

“I agree on reducing the amount of paper…I think it was a good decision that was made,” explained Placer student Lacey Cozzetto.

Placer is not going completely paperless; however, the school is taking the initiative and cutting down the amount of paper that each teacher uses. Though it will be a big adjustment for students and teachers alike, it is beneficial to the school district and the environment as well.