Petition to remove ‘Blurred Lines’

On change.org, offended people from all over the country have issued a petition to remove Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” music video from YouTube.

Anyone who has seen the video has usually reacted as either disgusted, uncomfortable, or couldn’t care less, but other viewers have only begun to see Robin Thicke as a misogynist mess. The video shows topless women walking around a fully-clothed Robin Thicke as he blows smoke in their faces and uses them as mere objects, which is enough to make anyone angry and defensive for female rights.

Shortly after the video was made and put up on social media sites all over the web, a parody was made by law students from the University of Auckland. The parody showed half-naked men walking around fully clothed women doing the things Thicke had done in the original video.

Of course, the majority of the internet jumped at the chance to point out the fact that this was inappropriate and demeaning to men and should not be on a public site such as YouTube. The decision to remove it was ironic, really, considering that the original video had the same sexualized content and inappropriate nature of the parody. Opposers of the original video became even more angry at this point, and one of them even created a petition to remove it as compensation for the parody being lost.

The creator of this petition, Reba Hayes, posted this on change.org about four weeks ago, and began recieving fans and backers for the petition within minutes.

“I am sick of this kind of misogyny being allowed to continue in popular culture and to be honest the longer we brush it off the more harmful it becomes,” Hayes states in the fifth line of her petition.

She mentions the incident with Robin Thicke and Miley Cyrus at the VMA’s as well, and how he garnered the same behaviour as the video. Everyone drew their attention more towards Miley because of her provocative clothing and ‘dirty’ dancing, all while ignoring Thicke almost completely.

Hayes demands that the video be either removed, or the parody be returned to YouTube, but in the eyes of the onlookers, the video excuses and promotes rape culture and should be removed immediately. The rude behaviour and stereotypes used in the video will not be taken lightly by the hundreds of female rights supporters, and they will keep fighting for this video to be done away with until Robin Thicke is stripped of his perverted pride and fame.

Currently, Hayes has 54,157 backers with the petition, and should reach her goal of 75,000 in the very near future.