Is senior year a let down?

Senior year has finally arrived for the class of 2013, and along with newfound superiority also comes the struggle to uphold annual senior traditions. So far this school year has proven that maintaining these rights of passage as a senior will be trickier to do than in past years.

As a student at Placer we get look forward to the perks of being a senior like planning the ultimate senior prank, powder puff, and senior night. As of lately though, seniors have been limited to the amount of seniority and silliness that past senior classes have had the privilege of displaying. Picture day for example was a huge letdown for most of the senior class,

“Picture day was weird because we can’t take funny pictures anymore,” admitted senior ASB President Brandon Barry.

On September 1st, seniors came to school in their glasses, turtlenecks, and a plan to make the creepiest face possible for their I.D. cards. Unfortunately, boys were told to take off their hats off and girls were required to wear their hair down.

“My hair was in a high bun up on my head, like I wear it every day, and I got griped at to take it down,” stated senior Shelby Crider.

The administration has been cracking down on what seniors can get away with lately, including senior pranks.

“I remember my freshman year, wanting to become distinguished alumni in the elite group of senior prankers,” admitted Barry.

Senior pranks have been less prevalent and lack luster in the past few years, it’s time for this year’s senior class to make a change.

Teacher Toby Covich emphasizes, “If things aren’t too destructive, like people who glue locks, then the senior pranks are good.”

For the past three years, senior pranks have barely scratched the surface of how exciting pranks can turn out to be.

“Huge truck tires were stacked over the flagpole a few years ago, custodians were swearing, but students were cheering,” stated Covich.

The essence of senior has lost its magic or maybe we just haven’t discovered it yet; either way, it’s time for the class of 2013 to shake things up a bit.

“We’ve already tried establishing new traditions last year and this year, like powder puff breakfast,” said Barry.

The class of 2013 has the ability to continue or start new traditions that will make this last year the best one.

“I think our class can work with the administration to get back traditions that some of the staff remembers doing,” stated Barry.

Whitney High School continues their tradition of allowing seniors to spray paint their own parking spots on the first day of school that are painted black again at the end of the school year. Senior sunrise has also become a trending senior bonding experience at Folsom and Granite Bay High School.

“I want to do a senior sunrise, it would be super fun and I can get on my level,” stated senior Zach Alesci.

This school year is the year for the class of 2013 to propose new ideas to the administration and give the under classmen something to look forward to their senior year.