Failed Economy

It is well known that the country’s economy is suffering. The question is: to what extent is the economy suffering?

Our economy should be evaluated and scored. The report will be based off of three significant topics: the economy’s effect on school districts in California, its effect on Placer County, and its effect on private businesses.

Placer Union High School District has been greatly affected by the recent economic downfall in the United States.

Michelle Rindels, staff writer of theunion.com wrote that the union had to, “continue discussions of how many school employees could get laid off, or whether furlough days would be used to spread the sacrifice.”

Many teachers within the union have been issued pink slips and some have been laid off.

“Our French teacher received a pink slip and was laid off,” commented Kelsey Johnson, a sophomore at Placer High School.

According to the San Diego News Network, 26,000 pink slips were handed out to teachers all around California and 60 percent of them were laid off. This affected all the school districts within California. From the point of view of the school districts, the economy should receive an ‘F’ for being incapable of supporting and maintaining its education systems.

Placer County has been greatly influenced by the economic downfall.

“Lot’s of people don’t have jobs,” Johnson said.

According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Placer County unemployment rate is currently higher than eleven percent. In 2007 the unemployment rate was just over four percent.

An anonymous source stated that more people are applying for welfare than ever before. Placer County is currently doing better than other counties.

Gus Thomson, an Auburn Journal staff writer wrote, “County Executive Officer Tom Miller reported that the recession has been deeper and longer-lasting than originally predicted and the use of fund balance carryovers and reserves might continue for a number of years.”

Clearly this shows that Placer County will be budgeting every cent, and looking for all the possible ways to save money. People will continue to lose jobs and will find themselves applying for welfare. From the viewpoint of Placer County, the economy deserves an additional ‘F’ for its inability to fund and support California and its various counties.

Last year, the Pizza Place in Auburn California went out of business. This was because of the faltering economy. Many small businesses are closing due to the economy while larger private businesses are just getting by. This is fatal considering that small businesses run the economy and give a lot of people jobs.

“The Pioneer Mining Supply store [in Auburn] went out of business,” Michael Balaguy, a senior at Placer High School relates.

The Pioneer Mining Supply store was a private store that couldn’t stay open due to the economy.

From the point of view of private businesses I would once again give the economy an ‘F’ for not being able to support private businesses.

Overall the economy receives an ‘F’ for its inability to keep people employed. It can’t cope with the education system, or small businesses. Counties suffer financially because of the economy as well. I think that the economy should be corrected the right way. This can be done by lowering taxes and slowing down government spending. The economy can still be brought back up to an ‘A’, but the people have to take charge to make this happen.