Course preview day supported by both teachers and students

Course preview day has been happening for a number of years now in order to allow students the opportunity to see what classes students would like to take next year.

Course preview day is when all high school students, with the exception of the seniors, get to go to four 15 minutes sessions of any class they choose.

“I think 15 minutes is the perfect amount of time to overview a class. It gives teachers enough time to show a short video or a projected presentation, with just enough time leftover for questions from students,” said Placer psychology teacher, Jason Long.

“It felt like students took good advantage of course preview day today to visit classes and learn about them. We think this will help them make good class choices for next school year,” said Placer counselor Carol Koons.

“It gives students a chance to hear directly from teachers what they are offering. This kind of face-to-face time allows students a chance to make an informed decision about whether they might want to take a certain class,” said Long.

Course preview day lets teachers know just how many people want to take their class and it is a good way for them to see new and old students.

“I think course preview day is a great opportunity for students to learn first-hand about the classes they want to take. An added bonus is that as a teacher I get to see students from past classes who are interested in taking electives,” said Placer English teacher, Erin Lee.

“I get excited when I can talk about my elective. The more people that know about my elective, the better,” said Placer English/Creative Writing teacher, Beth Metrock.

There were many classes for viewing on this day ranging from world languages to sciences and electives. Some classes made flyers and put them around the school to advertise their class for this day.

“I love making flyers to advertise my class. I just wish I could put more than ten up. One in each class would be awesome,” said Metrock.

Course preview day was effective for students because it allowed them to gain new perspective on their possible classes and teachers to see whether or not the fifteen minute experience worked for them.

“The more people know about what is offered, the better. Using the bulletin and hanging signs helps people know about the class,” said Metrock.

“I think it’s super effective. In one short burst of activity, every 9th through 11th grader has an opportunity to check out some of the electives they might otherwise miss out on,” said Long.

“I liked it because it allowed the students to explore the possibilities available for them at Placer,” said freshman Bethany Bell.

“Today, viewing the classes gave newer students an advantage on seeing how their new classes would be for next year and basically showing you all the different activities you can participate in,” said freshman Haley Souza.

Course Preview Day is an excellent and beneficial day to any student who participated on this day.