The GOP Presidential race thus far

GOP candidate campaigns are here as February marks the second month of the race for the nomination. The field is getting much smaller with each primary as candidates drop out and give their support to others.

Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Florida and Nevada are now in the books.

The field is currently down to former Governor Mitt Romney (R. Mass.), Rep. Ron Paul (R. Texas), Sen. Rick Santorum (R. Penn.), and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (R. Georgia). Romney has been leading the pack for most of the campaign but the other candidates are showing that they can compete.

After a series of events Santorum ended up as the winner in Iowa. In New Hampshire there were no surprises as Romney won with ease. Then in South Carolina Gingrich surged through to beat out Romney among others. Florida then went to Romney and so did Nevada.

While it has been Romney consistently at the top of the pack, Gingrich is now rising in popularity as he uses all means necessary to get voters. The former Speaker has been using a flurry of negative ads directed at the Romney campaign to sway voters toward the Gingrich campaign.

Recently, Romney came under much fire for not releasing his tax information to the public while others including the President had already done so. Romney is in hot water because of talks about how much money he really has and where that money is. Romney eventually gave in and released his numbers which blew every ones out of the water. He made over 21 million dollars in 2010 while the next highest candidate, Gingrich, made a mere 3.2 million dollars. While the dollar amount may correlate with votes and campaign power it is not necessarily the cause for winning an election.

The field is down to the last four candidates and the race is fluctuating on who is the top choice for voters but as the campaign goes on the nomination will go to one of the final four men in the GOP race.