Placer’s Presidents’ Day celebration to last a whole week

For the first time ever at PlacerHigh   Schoolstudents have a week off in February to break up those cold winter school days. From Monday, Feb. 20th to Friday 24th , students, faculty and staff will recieve a short break that was voted on by the teachers.

“Rather than have a bunch of 3 day weekends this year, we just took them all and made a weeklong break. Every single teacher voted “yes” to have this break.” said Mike Sabins, Placer High’s union rep.

Teacher Ron Hyatt agreed, saying, “It’s a nice break, because the year just keeps on going! It’s just a chance to let us catch our breath.” When Hyatt was asked if he had any plans for this break, he said, “No, because my wife teaches in a different district.”

The only schools in our area that have this break are Placer,Colfax,DelOro, Chana, Miadu, Whitney and Rocklin. There are many students that are very excited about these days off, but some students are not even aware of the change in schedule.

“We have a break in February?!,” freshman Johnny Capra asked.

Ashton Willick who, also a freshman, was unaware of the presidents’ break as well.

Although we are getting an entire week off in February there is a trade-off that needed to take place.  Students still need to attend school for 180 days,  meaning that students had to come to school on Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving break and will have to come to school 2 days more this June.

“This break is awesome but totally random, I don’t see the point but I’m not complaining.” said freshman Christian Davis. He added that he was excited about the break but because of the later release, he has to go to school on his birthday.

Students all have different opinions about this break and the days that were added to other breaks.

Frosh Marissa Barth agreed with many other students and faculty and expressed that she also likes the break in the school year

Fellow freshman Gabi Haldeman added “I like that we hardly ever have school!”