Hillmen sqeeze into overcrowded buses

Hillmen+sqeeze+into+overcrowded+buses+

Although students are facing larger class sizes this year, many students are discovering that the overcrowding on buses to and from school are an even bigger problem.

Some Mid-Placer Transportation bus routes have had a large increase in the number of student’s riding the afternoon bus home. An estimated number of about 74 to 84 students are riding the bus in the afternoon with some sitting three to a seat. According to some students, many are being force into the aisles.

“It is really disappointing getting on the bus and there is never any seats,” said sophomore Aaron Bivians   “It is cramped and you can’t hardly walk down the aisle. “

“When a bus is threatened with overloading, Mid-placer’s policy is to send the bus to it’s first stops to unload then return to pick up the remaining students, or, when possible, another route will take some of the students” said Mid-Placer CEO Martin Ward.

According to Ward, it is illegal for students to be sitting in the aisles.

“Students must be sitting in a seat,” added Ward.  “Even if they are only half way on, they must be seated.  They cannot be seated in the aisles on the floor. “

According to bus driver Leslie, who did not want to reveal her last name, her bus which includes students from Lincoln Way and the Auburn Greens is one of the most crowded routes.

“Eighty percent of the students on my route live in Auburn Greens,” stated Leslie.

Although Leslie does not allow students to sit in the aisles, she admitted that with a full bus it can be difficult to see.

“Even though the bus is crowded, the students are very respectful,” added Leslie.

Passengers have noticed the decreasing amount of space and continuously cramped quarters.

“We need another bus because it’s too Passengers have noticed the decreasing amount of space and packed,” added freshman Gavin Ahearn.

The maximum number of space that students need on a school bus is at least 13 inches wide according to Ward who has been with Mid Placer Transportation since 2004.

“This is adequate space when you seat three small elementary students to a seat,” stated Ward.

“Unfortunately, high school students are much bigger than elementary kids.”

Due to after school programs seats on the bus may open but buses are likely to remain full.

Freshman Derick Rodgers confides that he thinks that all the buses should have an equal amount of kids.

“It is really hard to find a seat,” said freshman Mikayla Aguilera. “Sometimes we are four to a seat.”