Beloved Placer coach loses battle with cancer

Coach Geno Linarez was well known for creating close relationships with his players. Above Linarez poses with his 2008 JV Boys Volleyball Team.

Geno Linarez, one of Placer’s most beloved softball and basketball coaches, passed away on Saturday, February 5th   due to liver cancer.

Linarez, who was also lovingly referred to by his athletes as “Coach G” or “Grandpa Geno”, was diagnosed with liver cancer early in 2010 late in January of 2011, the Linarez family received a painful update- Geno’s cancer was terminal, leaving him with only a few weeks to live.

Linarez attended and graduated from Placer in 1973, but never stopped supporting Placer athletics, and the youth involved. After his time as a student at Placer, he coached Girl’s Basketball and Softball for many years, only stopping when he became ill. As well as dedicating time to Auburn Little League baseball as an umpire, Geno coached Junior Varsity Boys Volleyball in 2008.  

Geno’s influence has spread through all aspects of the Auburn area; even to the people he has not coached personally. The ability he possessed to motivate and inspire others was fueled by an undeniable positive energy, and it has cemented him as not only one of Auburn’s most beloved coaches, but citizens as well.

“Geno could find sunshine on the cloudiest of days,” said Girl’s Varsity Basketball coach and friend of Geno, Tony Camilucci. “He was always positive and upbeat. He made every player feel special.”

As a coach, Geno encouraged good sportsmanship, and knew exactly how to get the best out of his players through supporting them.

“He was especially good with freshman, because he made them all feel welcome and taught them how to have Placer pride,” explained Camilucci.

Geno showcased his own Placer pride through the many years of his life he dedicated to aiding Placer athletes, and he has affected the lives of many.

Sophomore Claire Hansen met Geno when she was nine through Little League, and had the honor of playing for him during her freshman basketball season.

“He cared about all of us and treated us like his daughters,” said Hansen. “He made softball special because when he was umpiring he would help the girls who were up to bat with their stance and tell them not to be scared.”

Hansen and her basketball teammates also fondly remember one of Geno’s key phrases- “Get yours!” These two meaningful words could be heard whenever you were around him, giving off endless sparks of inspiration.

“It could always just motivate you to have that extra drive to achieve something,” explained Hansen.

The positive outlook on life that Geno possessed was a rare blessing, but it has filtered through into the way the girls he has coached view things. Through the time they spent with him, Geno’s athletes learned to always have a good attitude towards what you are faced with, because good things will soon follow.

During their games on Thursday, February 3rd, to show respect and love for Geno and his family, the three teams of the girl’s basketball program, as well as their coaches and other supporters, sported bold “G”s on their chests. This was an attempt for a small portion of the people Geno has influenced to demonstrate their pride at having known him, and the effect he had on this establishment.

Not only will Geno live on in the hearts and cherished memories of this community, his legacy will be left at Placer physically as well. The recently restored girl’s basketball tournament, The Lady Hillmen Classic, is set to be renamed “The Coach G Invitational” next year. In addition, it is intended for the girl’s softball field to be renamed in his remembrance.  

The struggles Geno and his family were faced with have been difficult for many members of the community to come to terms with. However, they have also raised tremendous feelings of respect and appreciation for life. It has been said that “You get what you give”, and in the case of Geno Linarez, the love others continue to feel for him is only a reflection of the love he felt for them.