Student artists make new homeoming tradition

“Every year for homecoming we decorate the back walls in the upper gym. But, this year we decided to take a different approach,” explained Jonathon Adams, leadership teacher at Placer High School.

This new approach was the mural project, which we adopted from a guest speaker. Students, mainly ones in art classes, volunteered to participate in the project, and there was a huge turnout. The students were in charge of everything, from designing the murals to painting them. These murals were painted in the Black Box Theatre (rm. 404 at Placer High) by the students whenever they had free time.

“I volunteered to help out with all the murals,” stated senior Molly King, who is taking Advanced Art and Art Gallery Management this year. “I really like art, especially drawing and sketching, because it takes your mind off other things.”

Each class got 3 canvasses that are about 5 feet by 15 feet each. One of the murals was a class painting, which had the class’s graduating year and was decorated with that class’s colors. Another was dedicated as the Las Vegas theme of each class. The last canvass was “free choice”, where the students had the option of what they want to put on it; for example, the seniors did theirs on the powder puff theme, Cops vs. Firefighters.

Senior Archie Warren contributed to the project with his art skills to the mural project.

“When I was growing up, my dad was best friends with Toby Covich (art teacher at Placer High School). Starting in kindergarten I’d always go in Toby’s art room and do ceramics with all the cool seniors. I started getting more serious about it in 3rd grade,” explained Warren. “Now my favorite type of art is spray painting stencils.”

It’s not just art students that participated in this project. Sophomore Makayla Ratcliff volunteered because she wanted to be involved with her sophomore class as much as possible.

“I think it is really neat that we are doing murals this year. It was a great idea and it will really express our class spirit! And I loved painting the murals,” stated Ratcliff.

The murals for homecoming decorations could also help to decorate for the homecoming dance. This new idea was great this year, but it could also spark new ideas and make for an even better homecoming for the years to come.