Results are in: Student poll matches actual vote

California just wrapped up one of the most stressful times of the year; elections. Some people were disappointed with the results, others relieved, but either way it is inevitable that parents influence their kids’ and teens’ opinions on politics and other controversial topics.

Proposition 19, or the legalization of marijuana, was one of the most heated propositions in the ballot. However, California shut down the proposition with 56 percent voting no and 44 percent voting yes. When a survey was given to 254 Placer High School students before the election, the results came out with 46 percent voting no and 44 percent voting yes, while the other 10 percent had no opinion. Is it a coincidence that the student results were so similar to the actual results?

“I think parents definitely influence their kids,” stated sophomore Amie McGrath. “When parents talk about any controversial topic, they are only arguing one side of it, so the kids aren’t hearing both sides of the issue.”

With parents in the house constantly talking about politics, it’s obvious that they will influence their kids and it’s likely that kids have the same opinion as their parents on these topics. This theory is proven when the students at Placer High School were polled on Prop 19, and the results came unusually close to those of the actual election.

“If I know enough information about the topic, I try to form my own opinion,” explained sophomore Kim Helms. “If not, I tend to go with my parents’ views, which I think is true with most people.”

The problem with this is that most of the information kids and teens get about a topic comes from their parents, who will favor their side.

Whether they realize it or not, adults who have strong opinions on a controversial topic constantly try to persuade others by selling their views. For example, they will talk with other people in front of their kids and argue their side of the issue, which can persuade the kids to believe that side.

“I think it depends on the person and their relationship with their parents,” says sophomore Emily Rodgers. “Those people with a strong relationship with their parents are more likely to adopt their views.”

Whether it’s while driving their kids to school or at the dinner table, parents are undoubtedly going to talk about politics. And with their kids constantly around them, it is inevitable that kids will be influenced by these conversations.

“Parents are going to talk politics and their children are going to hear it,” states teacher and parent Tony Camillucci. “Of course it will influence their kids because especially younger kids will just agree with what their parents say.”

Parents influence their kids constantly by talking about politics and other controversial topics. Because of this, it causes student surveys to turn out very similar to actual election results, and it could potentially make it difficult for election results to differ between generations.