Julian Falkner saves a life

While building Placer’s notoriously spooky haunted house on Friday October 22, junior Daniel Rea had an unfortunate mishap with a pair of scissors.

Being in the Leo Club, Rea and his junior friend Julian Faulkner were part of the construction crew for the school’s haunted house. Seeing as how the horror house scaring was about to open the next night, everyone was I a huge rush to get as much of the assembly done as possible.

When Rea, Faulkner and few others were instructed to cut the paper for the backgrounds in the haunted house in the history building, a friend handed Rea a pair of scissors. Rea automatically slipped the pair of scissors into his back pocket, unannounced to him they were blades up.

When Rea’s arms swung back and forth while he was walking around, his right wrist caught with the scissors sharp blades in his pocket on his back swing, causing his wrist to tear right across a main vain.

The only that was going through Rea’s mind after he saw his cut and all of the blood was, “Am I going to die?! Am I going to die?!” but then states, “Though at first I was freaking out, I soon became totally relaxed.”

People around that were also helping out on the haunted house helped by calling 911, but didn’t know how they could further help with the situation. Faulkner was one of the first to notice and held pressure on the wound to try and stop the excessive bleeding. “He helped greatly!” Rea compliments.

“I knew what to do from health class,” Faulkner states. While Faulkner held pressure, another student, Logan Thompson, had to think on his feet and use what he had with him to help stop the bleeding. In haste he wrapped the duct tape with the sticky side towards the wound. Once the wound was taken care of as much as possible and the ambulance was already on its way to the school, Rea, Julian and the other workers waited on the front steps of the history hall for the ambulance to come.

While waiting Rea’s friends were constantly trying to keep him from looking at his wound.

Rea thinks that the point when he knew he was severely hurt was, “When I saw the depth of the cut and all of the blood.” The first thing that the paramedics did was splint Rea’s arm which he will have to wear for a total amount of three weeks. Once at the hospital the first step to treating Rea’s cut was to peel off the duct tape.

“I could feel the wound splitting apart when they ripped off the duct tape,” he tells about the excruciating pain.

Rea’s father met him at the hospital, but his mother, knowing he was going to be perfectly fine, stayed home due to her great fear of hospitals.

Rea received 12 stitches on the outside of his wound and countless others on the inside. Though Rea could not feel the doctor stitch up his cut because of the numbing shots they gave him around his cut, he was still awake and watched his wrist be pulled back together with the thread.

The way Faulkner described the whole event was, “A good blend of chaotic yet organized moments. Somehow everything came together and worked out in the end.”

What does it take to be a hero? Not all heroes have fancy capes or super powers, some are just ordinary people that blend in with the crowd, but when they are called to duty they triumph over obstacles to help those in need.

Although Faulkner feels he didn’t really do that much, it takes a certain person to step up and help when someone needs it.