Obama pushes to lengthen the school year by a month

We all know that U.S. schools are not as well educated and not as long as foreign schools.  Our schools have fallen behind in math and science and Obama thinks that the future of our country is at stake. He proposed to make the school years longer in the U.S. in March of 2009.

Currently, U.S. schools average about 180 days to complete a “full” school year. Foreign schools average about 200 with longer days and more specific classes. Many feel like our schools are falling behind in academics we need to be sufficient for a adequate future. Obama proposed to make U.S schools a month longer into the summer, but not everyone agrees with the proposal.

“Uh- oh, I don’t like that. I don’t even think that’d work. The schools already don’t have enough money as it is… We don’t have enough [money] for summer school, so it’s not a good idea,” stated Jocelyn Frye, 11.

Obama says that lengthening the school year will be “money well spent,” but not all school districts and states are in the position to be able to afford the school years being lengthened. A longer school year would mean the teacher salary would have to be raised, which would be hard for many schools across the country. The costs to keep the school open longer will increase to be very pricey.

“I don’t know if it’s a good idea or bad idea. If you make it longer, there’s a lot to it- staff pay, sports seasons, family summer vacation times, and more cost to run the campus,” states Placer High Principal Peter Efstathiu. “If they’re really talking about adding a month to school, they’re going to change the system that we’ve been used to over many years. The only way I think it will work, is if students help buy into being the best students they can be.  We all have to the best with the situation we have now.”

Efstathiu said he’s more in the middle on the proposal for longer school years. He agrees that it might be a better solution for falling being in school, but he doesn’t think a longer school year would be very helpful for students.

“Yes it will cost more, but will it really help students learn more?” Efstathiu asks.

He also agreed that students aren’t doing as well now as they were in the past years, but he doesn’t know how to solve that problem. A longer school year might not be as effective.

“As a student, I think it sucks, but I also think it’s a good idea. I don’t really support the longer year idea, but it will create more time for teachers to teach and students to learn with less stress,” stated Codey Hancock, 11.

As many students aren’t all for the idea of a longer school year, it may help improve academic scores and star testing results. The idea isn’t certain, but is being talked about in the White House.