Why have the treats turned into tricks?

At some point in everybody’s Trick-or-Treating career they have been sadly disappointed. With every great candy bar, there comes an amusing but not so appealing treat.

Whether you’re out on Halloween night to get a chance to get some candy, or just hanging out with friends, Halloween is by far the most exciting holiday for most students at Placer High School.

Worst disappointment on Halloween night?

“The lady gave me a nickle. A Single nickel!” exclaimed Katie Fahey, senior at Placer High.

Most kids are just happy they got candy at all, but as you get older, kids start to be a little more picky about their candy choice.

Some strange items are usually handed out on Halloween night, and not only the most appealing.

“I get toothbrushes all the time” says junior, Megan Berntsen

Some candy givers are going to the extreme with their handouts, with things like books, toothbrushes, and apples. What happened to the plain old snickers bar?

Instead of turning out the lights and pretending to be asleep, they go to the extreme and start giving out household items.

“My grandpa said that when kids came to his house, and he was out of candy, he would put rocks in their bags, and they would think that he gave them a lot of candy. But when they figured out, they came back and through the rocks at his house” shares Allyson Shelley, Freshmen at Placer.

Many teachers at Placer High give candy to fellow neighbors, and all have a different opinions on how or what candy should be given out.

“Its always that unopened candy that you hate to throw away, but after so many urban legend stories about the razor blades in the candy, you just throw it away.” says Mrs Haydon, teacher at Placer High.

For most kids, Halloween night is a chance to get candy from strangers, but most don’t know the meaning of Halloween or the candy itself.

“Well, since my birthday is on Halloween, I used to think everybody was going trick or treating to celebrate my birthday.” confesses Fahey.

With all the great candy going around, no one seems to take notice of the person that tries to poison a child. Every piece of Halloween candy is guilty until it is proven innocent by a parent check.

Halloween, The most favored night of the year. How come the candy’s gone haywire? Why the toothbrushes, toothpaste,  books, apples, and rocks?