Is senior year the best year ever?

Whether you’ve been looking forward to it since freshman year, or have been in denial about its arrival, it’s finally here. But is it really worth all the hype it gets? What are the perks that seniors receive? What, really, is the Senior Experience?

“I feel like there’s so much to look forward to as a senior, from Ball to free periods to being able to win jug, and so much more!”, said junior, Kiera Jordan, when asked about what she was looking forward to her senior year. Even freshmen are already looking forward to their own senior year. Jasmane Nolivo, grade 9, has mixed emotions for it.

“I’m definitely excited to be a senior, but it can wait.” Nolvio is looking forward to going to all the dances and to be involved in that Placer Hilmen school spirit! She plans on joining clubs, like the French Club or Spanish Club, and she says she might even try out for the dance team, all in order to make the most of her entire high school experience!

However some, now seniors, like Zachary Hecker admitted, “I don’t feel much differently about this year, but I do feel the sense of seniority, where I can go unnoticed doing things that I wouldn’t normally have gotten away with when I was a freshman or a sophomore.”

While being able to get away with a little more than the underclassmen may be one of the perks, Senior Matthew Tueller adds that “the perks are definitely having a better understanding of what to expect and how the classroom runs. I don’t know if we necessarily get away with more…but we probably would want to.” Maybe, it is for that reason that we DO get away with more than we should. Maybe it is because we know which teachers are OKAY with what, and we know what they need to hear to let us off the hook.

Either way, senior year is what you make it. And when questioned about any regrets they might have, Kennedi Armstrong, senior, said that she wishes she would have gotten into Leadership; “The people in there seem so fun and I think it really would’ve helped me be more outgoing and make some really awesome friends”. Brenda Garcia, a senior who’s graduating early, said she really wishes she would’ve taken Psychology. All seniors left a small piece of advice to the underclassmen.

From Garcia, “Don’t be stupid. Pass your classes.” From Armstrong, “School is what you make of it”, and then jokingly added, “Oh! And avoid Mrs. Miller at all costs”. Tueller says that his best advice would be to “Just let go and play. Let go of the judgment you have for others. Don’t ignore someone because they’re different, be open and loving. Faith, hope, and love and you’ve got it.”