Some Placer students are mistreated in the workplace

Placer students are being treated unfairly in the workplace, and it is affecting our outlook on the job market and our own job choices.

“Everyone else comes before minors in the workplace. Like, if I ask for a day off I will only get it if no one else asks for it,” said junior Gage Brandin.

Even so, the mistreatment isn’t limited to days off, but almost every aspect of the workplace. Students have reported that their bosses yell at them, call students in last minute, and don’t fill out work permits, all examples of an unprofessional work environment. Is it not the purpose of high school jobs to build work ethic and professionalism? How are students supposed to thrive in a work environment that is hostile, improper, and unethical?

Students are even being discouraged from finding a job because of stories they here from their peers. This is to be expected with some of the horror stories that they are subjected to.

“I definitely will not go anywhere I’ve heard stories from, and I’m even hesitant to go to other places in fear of this mistreatment,” said junior Lindsey Tadlock.

One of the most outraging components is the fact that our adult counterparts are getting all of the glory. Whether it is because of greater experience, or simply intelligence, adults doing the same job often receive more respect than teenagers. Also, oftentimes employers will judge teenagers based on the actions of their peers; categorizing their employees as immature, rude, and irresponsible.

“If an employer is discriminating against an employee (or potential employee) on the basis of one these [protected] classes, then it is illegal,” according to the law offices of David H. Greenberg.

Said protected classes include gender, disability, race, sexual orientation, veteran, religion, family status, and age. What this means is that if a student is being treated unfairly because of their age, it is illegal and can be reported to the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Students often understand that it is important to give certain courtesies to adults that are in positions of authority. However, when students are working the same jobs as these adults, the level of respect needs to be the same. It is illegal to discriminate against employees because of their age, but it happens inAuburn everyday.

“Basically, I get the second pick of everything. When you are under 18, people don’t give the same respect they would give to an adult,” said Brandin.

Many students do not apply for a job looking for a place to get bullied; they are looking for a place where they can develop their work ethic and experience.

“When I applied for my job, I didn’t expect this at all, I thought I would be treated better than this,” commented Brandin.

Students at Placer are upset over their mistreatment in the workplace. Being called into work last minute is not ok. Being yelled at for no reason is not ok. Working without a work permit is not ok. However, all of the above have happened to students at Placer. The time for change is now, and teenagers everywhere are ready for the change.