The holidays can be a difficult and trying time of year for students from divorced families

As the holidays get into full swing, people everywhere are busy wrapping, baking, caroling and more. But for a season dedicated to celebrating family and friends, it can be a difficult time for those dealing with divorced parents.

According to The Orange County Register, the national divorce rate is about 50%, while in California, it is over 60%. While the causes of divorce are many, the effects can be painful for those involved. Children and teens who are dealing with a recent divorce have a lot on their plate already, and adding holidays to that can be overwhelming.

“Kids with divorced parents shouldn’t feel alone because there’s a lot like them out there” said junior Olivia Morgan.

Some have grown up with divorced parents since they were little, which can make dealing with the holidays easier. However, others have only recently watched their parents separate and are still figuring out how to deal with the holidays.

“Don’t worry, make it feel as normal as you can and have a good time,” advised senior Kaitlin Libby.

Many students here at Placer have made new traditions that adapt to their unique situations. For some, Christmas is celebrated twice on Christmas day, once at each parent’s house. While the joke is made of kids getting ‘two Christmases’, celebrating the holidays at separate houses can help alleviate the tension of seeing divorced parents together.

“It’s better in the long run, I could never see them together for Christmas,” said freshman Elijah Cokeley.

For others, the holidays are celebrated solely at one parent’s house, whether it be because one parent is out of the picture, or simply of better convenience.  There are also those who celebrate Christmas together with both parents, even though they may be separated.

“Both my parents go to my grandma’s house to have a family Christmas” said junior Katelyn Fahey.

For those who are separated from a parent due to distance, many have found that technology helps keep them close through the holidays. Whether a parent works or lives far away, or even those with a parent deployed in the military, technology has made it possible to see a loved one face to face, no matter the distance between them.  Video chat, Facebook, e-mails, and even simple phone calls, can make Christmas just a little sweeter.

While the holidays in general can be a stressful time, dealing with a separated family can add to the stress. But for many, there is always bright side to all the chaos.

“I get two Christmases, it’s like Christmas morning times two,” said Fahey.