Foreign exchange students share experiences and impressions

Robert+Kuklica
Robert Kuklica

Several people from around the globe are attending Placer High School for the 2012-2013 school year. All coming from different places, and having diverse backgrounds, each person takes on this new adventure with an uplifting spirit.

One of the students, Latifa Lestari is a senior from Indonesia. She enjoys it here and says that she “wants to learn here, and learn the culture, and the American life.”

In addition, she is planning on participating in girl’s soccer during the spring.

“I want to learn English, learn your (American) culture, and visit the US because it’s my first time here,” Anna De Miguel Valdes, a sophomore exchange student from Spain said.

On top of that, all the students are getting involved with the school. Most plan on playing sports, and/or engaging in school clubs.

“I am playing tennis, and I play singles,” Robert Kuklica, a junior exchange student from Slovakia said.

Along with Kuklica, Elena Varela Venocchi, a senior exchange student from Italy, and De Miguel Valdes are both interested in playing for the upcoming season.

Also, there is vast difference between America, and their homelands; moreover, we have two different ways of living.

“There’s nothing that’s the same. The family is different, the food is different, and the school is different,” said Varela Vernocchi.

The teacher’s are nicer,” she adds.

Unlike here, the schools in Italy require students to take 12 classes a year. Also since schools don’t offer sports, students need to take at least two hours of sports education a week.

Natallia Silveira, a junior exchange student from Brazil says that Brazilian food is very different from what we consume in America.

“We do eat pasta, and hamburgers,” she mentioned as a common similarity.

Back home, Varela Vernocchi eats pasta often and tons of fruit unlike here where she consumes a lot of meat.

With all the excitement, and fears, and anticipations, and worries, nothing will erase the joy they pertain inside.

“I like America, and I love California,” said De Miguel Valdes.