Attention Seniors: Time to start filling out those college applications!

It’s that time of year for seniors, college applications! Many 12th graders are not aware of how critical the fall season is for their future. Whether information about applications is not available or students don’t know where to begin, here are some helpful tips to get started.

The first step to the application process is to talk to a counselor and explore your college options. Make an appointment, counselors are always eager to help.

“Every year I get a lot of questions from college bound seniors, there will be an information night at Del Oro on September 27th and the Placer website has lots of useful information as well,” stated counselor Neil Polaske.

Once a plan has been made, search college websites on the admissions page for information on application deadlines and requirements. Part of the application is to turn in your high school transcripts, so make sure to stop by the office and ask Mrs. Smith for yours. If you have not yet taken the SAT or ACT, sign up as soon as possible, most colleges won’t accept tests taken after the month of November.

Get Organized! Create a folder for each college that you are planning to attend to keep track of important documents specific to each college. College Board is a helpful website that provides step by step information and advice; you can even print up a checklist from the application page to keep track of important dates. Make sure to check for the essay prompts that you will be writing as part of the application.

Step 2 would be to begin writing the college essay. Do not procrastinate! Start as early as possible, leave plenty of time for corrections and rewrites. The most important aspect of an application essay is honesty, college essays want to get to know you, not what you think they want to hear. Think of something that sets you apart from all other applicants and start brainstorming. Once you’re happy with your essay, have it edited by a peer or teacher, any of the English teachers would love to help you succeed.

Feel that college is just too expensive? Step 3: sign up for FAFSA, a financial aid program for college bound students. You could qualify for more help than expected. Check with colleges to see what their deadlines are for financial aid. Not receiving as much aid as you need from FAFSA?  Apply to as many scholarships as possible! They may not all be $2000, but the more you apply for the faster they add up. Placer will be hosting a financial aid information night December 4th.

Parents and teacher may not hold your hand through the application process, but they are willing to help. College may seem daunting at first, but by simply breaking the process into steps and staying organized, applications are much easier to tackle. Don’t feel threatened by a new experience; get excited to find out more about yourself.  This is the time to decide your future!