Music you’ve never heard!

If you have ever walked into the first floor of the art building, you have probably noticed the blaring music playing from the three different classrooms. Larry Alberts and Toby Covich with their classic rock/oldies music, and Tim Johnson (Red), with his techno mixes.  This music has been a part of the art classrooms for over 40 years.

Starting in 1970, art teacher Mario Ferrante brought in an old stereo with a speaker already installed on it.
           “He would let students bring in records for the class to listen to. We would also listen to the old radio station K-Zap, which would later turn into The Eagle,” stated Toby Covich.
           Ferrante, the pioneer of bringing music into the classroom at Placer, was not only the teacher of ceramics teacher Toby Covich, but also the teacher of Red, and Alberts. And through these three teachers, the tradition of music in the art hall has been carried on. Although they all play music in their classrooms, the music often varies in genres.
           “[I prefer classic rock over techno] because it’s got a beat you can dance to. The oldies are the moldies; you can’t beat the classic rock. It’s the foundation of rock ‘n’ roll,” commented Alberts.
           While many students agree with Alberts on his music taste and what he plays, there are some that agree with Red’s point of view.
           “I’ve heard all of the classic rock many times before. It’s classic, it’s old. Don’t get me wrong, I do like The Eagle, but the music I play inspires me to be more creative,” stated Red.
           Not only do the styles of music vary in each classroom, but the methods used to play the music are different too. Alberts plays his music through a stereo. Toby, who still occasionally will play music through his stereo, has now started using the Pandora app on his iPhone to play his music Red plays his music through his computer.
Having been teaching for 33 years, Covich knows the importance of playing music in the classroom, and what it can do for not only the students, but for the classroom setting as well.
           “Playing music creates a casual atmosphere at each table. It isolates the tables and conversations, and ultimately creates a more intimate atmosphere. That way one table can be having a conversation and not have to worry about the rest of the class hearing it.” added Covich.
           As the teachers appreciate the music playing, the students in art do as well.
    “It’s like background music. You can work better and it sets the mood. You’re more in touch with your art,” stated junior Sam Bennett.

For as long as the music has been playing in the art hall, students have appreciated it, and have been motivated to create more art because of it. And as long as long the music is playing, students will continue to strive to be more creative.