Senior yearbook portraits frustrating some seniors

As seniors get ready to take their senior portraits, some students aren’t happy about being required to go to one photographer. 

Although the portrait policy is the same as in past years, the yearbook staff is enforcing more this year.

“Different photos from different places make it too difficult to manage”, said yearbook adviser Dan Wilson.  “The yearbook staff needs to manage over 350 photos keeping in mind the consistency of the layout.  If you have too many different photos from different photographers with different backgrounds the spreads in the book will not look good.” Wilson added.

Some students don’t agree with Wilson.

“I just don’t think it’s fair because there are people who took their pictures at the end of last year thinking they would be able to be put in the yearbook,.” said senior Kelsey Mercado.

She understands that it may be easier for the school to do it all through one company; however, she still thinks it’s unfair.

“It may be cheaper for the school but we’re the ones buying the yearbook,” said Mercado.

“It’s really not a matter of money for us, it all costs the same whether we do it through one photographer or multiple photographers,” said Wilson.  “It is just more manageable and it looks better.  No one ever asks to use different photographers for their student id pictures.  The same goes for the yearbook.”

When asked if she would do it differently if she was in charge, Mercado stated,

“Oh yeah definitely, [for some students] it can be cheaper, better quality, and different people want different things.  I know someone who was going to do it for 100 bucks but Filmworks charges 180 dollars!”

Though some students aren’t happy with the change, it’s not as drastic as it may seem. For the past couple of years, the seniors were all supposed to go through Filmworks, but some students managed to get around that rule.  This year the staff decided to take more initiative and enforce the rules.