“Taco Park” earning unfavorable reputation in community

Students from Placer enjoy the School Park Reserve where many students feel like they are being judged when they are seen at the park.  Some feel drug deals take place in this area.
Students from Placer enjoy the School Park Reserve where many students feel like they are being judged when they are seen at the park. Some feel drug deals take place in this area.

The purpose of a public park is for people to feel safe and enjoy nature.  Unfortunately, the School Park Reserve located behind Taco Tree and the Auburn Police Station has gained a reputation that is anything but that.

“Taco Park” as many Placer High School students refer to it, has not only earned a reputation as a spot for students to participate in illegal activity, but some students are feeling they are being unfairly judged if they are seen visiting or leaving the park.

“I’m pretty sure Pot Park didn’t get its name from planting pots,” said Steve Caminiti, Placer High Assistant Principal.

Although students get caught continuously, the Auburn Police patrol, and campus security does not seem to be enough. The problems that occur at “Pot Park” is not always the students fault, but outsiders as well. According to the students, the drug busts over the years is progressively getting worse.

“The problem could be changed if there was more surveillance” says Caminiti.

The many students that feel like they are getting judged when they are at the park feel it is because of the bad reputation of the park and the people. Some students don’t even bother to visit the park, because of the fear of getting caught up in the trouble. Some students don’t seem to care if they if people judge them when they are seen in the park.

Although the Auburn police department is involved, they do not help the feeling of judgment, as people enjoy the park. The thought crosses everybody’s mind at one point, as they see people leaving the park.

“I believe other students automatically judge people that come out of the park, even though they might not be doing anything bad.” says student, Avery Engelstad.

Caminiti explained that when he sees someone leaving the park, he does not wonder, but when it becomes continuous, then he begins to think that something’s going on.

Over the years, there have been a few lookouts, including a school resource officer that spied on the kids from under the bridge, and jumped out to scare them if something got bad.

“There is not a lot of positive things going on down there” Caminiti stated.

What causes most people to be cautious around “Taco Park” is the fear of the all the drug selling, or smoking.

“As long as it doesn’t put the school into any sort of danger,” Caminiti added. Although it is their choice, sometimes their choice can get them into trouble. The park can sometimes be too easily stereotyped as a drug dealing location.